The Shrine Of The Heart

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I love days when my creative juices flow!

I'm currently planning the menu for my 21st Birthday dinner. It's going to be a cosy and intimate affair. I'll be having a few of my closest friends over for a great meal and some fabulous wine.

Initially, I wanted to attempt something grandoise and awe-inspiring...something with an element of showmanship...something that would make Ferran Adria or Emmanuel Stroobant look like dull and dreary prudes. I wanted to make their emulsions and soup bubbles look safe. Fortunately, sensibility prevailed and I changed my mind. Eventually I decided to stick to something tried and tested. However, I am pretty certain that my guests will still be in for some pleasant surprises!

Usually, I am very careful to steer clear of what is commonly labelled "Fushion Food". Personally, I am not a big fan of oddities like spaghetti laksa and lemongrass pudding. I have always prided myself for not succumbing to the "Fushion" fad when it was still in season. To me, it is important for different cuisines to preserve their cultural identity. I am a sucker for authenticity and I am a purist when it comes to traditional dishes. Fushion is confusion. However, I have decided to throw my prejudices to the wind and do some experimentation this time. When I was planning the menu, I tried to build bridges between different culinary cultures. The results proved to be quite refreshing.

I had alot of fun conceptualising the canapes! I am trying to make each item a visual art piece. I sucked at Art in school, but I am thoroughly satisfied with some of my creations. Hopefully, they would not be overshadowed by Brian's masterpieces on the actual day. I shall refrain from going into details. All I'd reveal at this point of time is, "small is beautiful".

The main courses proved to be very challenging. I tried to come up with dishes that allow the beauty of each ingredient to express itself. At the same time, I had to ensure that the flavours compliment each other. I wanted contrasting flavours, but I was also careful to make sure that the more intense flavours would not overwhelm the subtler naunces. I'm glad that I managed to harmonise everything, on paper at least.

I really want to surprise my guests with the dessert;)

1 Comments:

Blogger xiaoke88 said...

haha, sounds like fun. jus remember, dont over-stress yrself lar, otherwise everything's gonna become a total flop!
:)

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home